Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Days 1 & 2


Ultimately I would love to blog everyday during our 30-day challenge, but I know that isn't very realistic so my goal is to post at least 3-4 times per week. So far things are going well. The biggest problem is hunger. There are no calorie restrictions in this challenge, but eating enough plant-based food to stay full is tough! I have a big appetite to begin with, plus I'm breast feeding so that adds to my calorie requirement. My husband is a big guy who also has a big appetite so I know this is a challenge for him as well.
Another challenge is trying to minimize processed food. Trying to eat a diet that consists of mostly whole foods is labor intensive. One thing I did that was helpful was yesterday I made enough lunch, snacks, and dinner to last two days so today was a breeze. Here's what was on the menu for me and Tim:
Breakfast
Me: oatmeal with blueberries, cinnamon, and almond milk
Tim: Total cereal with raisins and soy milk

Lunch
Me: 2 Chickpea-tomato wraps
Tim: double decker peanut butter and jelly sandwich

Dinner
Both: Herbed Millet loaf with Mushroom sauce and broccoli with almonds

Snacks
Me: fresh raw veggies dipped in black bean sun-dried tomato dip, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, bowl of Wheat Chex with almond milk
Tim: dry roasted peanuts, tortilla chips dipped in black bean sun-dried tomato dip


The picture is of our dinner, which was actually very tasty and much more appetizing than it looks. Tim didn't love the broccoli last night so I roasted some carrots for him as a side dish tonight and my 15 month-old daughter Meghan and I ate up the rest of the broccoli.

1 comment:

  1. I forgot to add that Tim also ate a container of M&Ms yesterday. Great start, huh? Actually it's my fault. They were a stocking stuffer from Christmas. i just figured he would have eaten them by now! Oh, well. :-)

    ReplyDelete