Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Two Weeks into the Vegan Food Challenge

     I'm actually sad after typing that title because we are half way through with our challenge.  Once the next two weeks are finished, I will no longer have a partner with whom I can experience the vegan life.  Even sadder, I won't be able to cook exclusively vegan because I'll need to prepare some omnivorous meals for Tim.

Eating Vegan at Restaurants


   This weekend we ate out twice.  The first restaurant, P.F. Chang's, wasn't extremely difficult to find a vegan dish.  I did some research before we ordered (this night was actually a take-out night, we didn't eat at the actual restaurant) and found mixed information about which items on the menu were true vegan dishes. In the end I decided not to stress too much if a dish was made with chicken stock and we both ordered dishes from the vegetarian section.  I had my usual P.F. Chang's entree, Coconut Curry Vegetables.  Tim ordered the Vegetable Chow Fun.  We also had the vegetarian lettuce wraps.
    Sunday we went to Carrabba's Italian Grill (some friends' choice) and found it more difficult to find a vegan dish.  I can't remember the name of it, but Tim and I got the same thing because it was the only dish without animal products.  Essentially it was noodles with vegetables, fresh basil, and olive oil.  It was good, even though I was disappointed they didn't have whole wheat noodles available.
    All in all, I don't enjoy eating out when I am trying to eat vegan unless I'm at a restaurant that caters to vegetarians/vegans.  I hate having my choices limited to one or two items.

Trying New Recipes
  I've had fun trying new recipes during this vegan food challenge.  So far, I've liked just about everything I've made.  Tonight, however, was the exception.  I made this dish from another blog I read often and have tried a few recipes from.  I have enjoyed other recipes from this blog, but this one was really bland.  There were a lot of leftovers so I am going to try to think of a tasty sauce to make for it for tomorrow.  I didn't take any pictures because I knew I could link her blog and she has beautiful pictures. I have so many more recipes on my want-to-try list, so I am going to keep chugging along.

   I hope that the next two weeks go just as smoothly as the first two have.  Even though I know Tim misses his meat, I think there is a part of him that is enjoying eating more healthful foods.  I'm pretty sure he would never admit that, though. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment